A-108 & A-109 parked in front of the 2 bay garage building of the Guardian Hose Company.
The Thurmont Community Ambulance Service was organized in 1969. However, the company's roots date back to July 1953. At that time, a group of men saw the need for emergency ambulance service in Thurmont and the American Legion Ambulance Service was established as a committee of American Legion Post 168. The original vehicle was a red Packard ambulance, which was demolished in a collision shortly after being placed in service. The next unit was a brown 1949 Packard, which served until being replaced by a 1954 Cadillac in 1960. The first new vehicle purchased was a 1963 Miller-Meteor Cadillac.
1969 turned out to be a pivotal year for the organization. First, the increase in call volume required a second ambulance being placed in service. This unit was a used 1966 Miller-Meteor Cadillac housed at the Guardian Hose Company. The increased call volume also was placing a strain on the dwindling number of Legion members able to staff the ambulance. As a result, the decision was made to reorganize as a separate corporation and the Thurmont Ambulance Service, Inc. was born.
In 1970, a two bay garage facility was completed at the rear of the Guardian Hose Company parking lot. The facility was rented from the Guardian Hose Company and served the needs of the company until call volume continued to increase.
In the Mid 1980's, it became evident that the call volume would soon necessitate a third vehicle. This would also require a new building facility. In 1986, the property of the Thurmont United Methodist Church consisting of the sanctuary, Sunday school building with a social hall and the parsonage became available. Additionally, this site was located next to the Guardian Hose Company. The purchase was completed and future plans were made to construct a new facility.
In the meantime, Frederick County Advanced Life Support saw the need for a satellite unit to cover the northern part of Frederick County. To meet this need, Medic 4 was placed in service and housed at Thurmont Community Ambulance Service.
In 1987, the company grew again with the addition of a third ambulance. The Guardian Hose Company housed the third unit until the new station was built.
In April 1989, the current facility was dedicated and the Thurmont Community Ambulance Service finally had a facility to meet all of it's needs. This was accomplished by tearing down the church sanctuary and parsonage and attaching a 40' X 60' four bay garage to the former Sunday school building.
Currently, volunteers supplemented by career personnel respond to over 1,200 calls per year from this location with three ambulances. In Addition, Frederick County Advanced Life Support Medic 30 responds to calls in northern Frederick County.
In 2007, Company 30 completed an expansion project that added a fifth bay to the existing building. This addition will also include new office spaces, a new kitchen area, a female bunk room and expanded facilities for Medic 30. In July 2013, the company purchased 21.5 acres of land off Strafford Drive/Lawyer Lane and Woodland Avenue. This parcel of land will be the future site of our Event Complex. This facility will hold approximately 600 people and will be used for all of our fundraising activities.
Current Building of Company 30
In 2007 Company 30 completed an expansion project that added a fifth bay, a new kitchen area with pantry and walk-in freezer, meeting rooms, and additional office spaces.
At the Present time Company 30 operates a 2007 Horton type III ambulance known as A-307, a 2010 Horton type III ambulance known as A-308, a 2004 Horton type III ambulance known as A-309, 1997 Ford 250 known as Utility 30, 2013 Polaris UTV, and a 2012 Chevrolet Suburban known as Car-30. This unit serves multiple tasks such as attending meetings, training classes, duty vehicle, along with fundraisers. All of the units have been paid for completely by donations from our community.